Answered

Embedd code for Canvas--javascript not working

yuckfin 4 years ago in Voki FAQs updated by Gil Sideman 3 years ago 11

When will you have a new embed code to integrate into Canvas? Users need to be able to prepare now for the semester.

Flash player is currently being retired. I keep getting warnings when I

attempt to load my Voki's already. The "new" code does not currently

work with Canvas or Blackboard, two of the largest LMS.

Answer

Answer

Hello Yuckfin, and others reading this -

Since this post was first answered, we've implemented an embed code option called "No Javascript" (or "iFrame") - when you go to embed your Voki, select this version of the embed code to embed in Canvas, and in  other environments that do not allow JavaScript embed code.

This solution is relevant when publishing to Blogs or LMS platforms that so not support embedding JavaScript code.

Hope this helps,

Gil

The Voki Team

Under review

Hello Yuckfin!

We're working on a solution that will be video based.

As a side note I'd like to point out that we've had a non Flash solution for years (our characters do not use Flash in any way) - but we were forced to keep Flash available as an option for teachers to use because of applications like Canvas that do not permit modern HTML5 animation to be embedded in their pages (though they do permit the now-nearly-obsolete Flash technology).

As noted - we're working on an alternative solution that's Video based.

We have no ETA - but hope to have it by end of year. 
Hope this helps,

Gil

The Voki Team

I am aware that you have maintained the Flash solution, but the fact that it can no longer be used with major LMS's such as Canvas and Blackboard makes finding another solution a priority. I hope you are able to work with Canvas to find a solution since many are dependent on a timely solution since we are already planning courses for 2nd semester.

Flash is deprecated at the end of December as you know.  I have not seen any options yet when I log in to Voki.   What is the solution that you have developed that will be compatible with Canvas LMS?  Is there an HTML 5 version or some other version that does not use Javascript?  

Voki is implemented in HTML5 and Javascript. It does not use Flash. 
We offer Flash option for backward compatibility to users who need to embed in sites that do not support Javascript embed.

If Canvas intends to drop support for Flash without enabling a non-Flash alternative, there is nothing we can do about that at present.

Though is is possible, as a workaround to generate a video in the mobile app, and post that video to canvas.

I suggest to appeal to Canvas to enable Voki character embed in their platform.

If their customers request it - perhaps they will.

All the best,

Gil
The Voki Team

I was informed that Voki had to make their javascript code secure and compatible before there could be a Canvas integration.  Canvas support said it was up to you.   Three months ago you told me there would be a solution, now you tell me that Canvas has to make some accommodation for integration.  I already contacted Canvas with an integration request.  

fyi - we are in touch with Canvas team. I'll advise when clear.

Thank you.  I look forward to a quick resolution since we are almost ready to start Spring Semester 

You're welcome - and I hope this will be cleared up quickly, but at this point we do not yet have visibility regarding the schedule. It may take a long or a short time - this is not yet clear. I'll post an update when I know more. 

Best,

Gil

Answer

Hello Yuckfin, and others reading this -

Since this post was first answered, we've implemented an embed code option called "No Javascript" (or "iFrame") - when you go to embed your Voki, select this version of the embed code to embed in Canvas, and in  other environments that do not allow JavaScript embed code.

This solution is relevant when publishing to Blogs or LMS platforms that so not support embedding JavaScript code.

Hope this helps,

Gil

The Voki Team