+5
Under review

Approved Voki has been changed and content is missing

anonymous 9 years ago in Voki Classroom updated by Gil Sideman 8 years ago 14
One of my favorite sample Vokis no longer exists in my Voki classroom.  I was trying to access it to show to this year's students, but I discovered that the character has been changed, the background has been changed, and there is no sound.  How do I recover it?  It's the first approved Voki in the 7th period 2011-2012 class by Kevin.
Also, all of the Vokis in my 4th period 2011-2012 have been deleted.  They look like the one I described above.  I saved them because they were good samples for future students to view. I didn't receive any notices from Voki about the content being removed.
Under review
Hi Susan,

I would love to look into this issue for you. Can you let me know the email that you are registered with?

Best,
Eva D.
The Voki Team

Thanks for your help, Eva.  The email is XXXX@ccc.com

Hi Susan,

We're looking into several scenario as to why this happened. It doesn't seem like the student Vokis were deleted from you account. If you embedded it anywhere, can you send over the embed code for a specific student? 

Best,
Eva D.
The Voki Team
They all look like this one:  http://www.voki.com/pickup.php?scid=5405704&height=267&width=200.  
Will you be able to recover our Vokis?
Hi Susan,

Not yet! We're still looking into this issue. Thank you so much for your patience while we try to figure this out!

Best,
Eva D.
The Voki Team
Hi Susan,

I'm terribly sorry about the inconvenience, but unfortunately once deleted the data cannot be restored.

To be able to offer Voki, we need to find ways to economize. One of these ways is to clear the data of users who no longer use their account - so that we may offer the same resources to currently active users.

Again, we apologize for this inconvenience. 

Thanks for understanding.

Best,
Eva D.
The Voki Team

I don't understand. I have been a paid subscriber at Voki for years.  I use this account.  How could you delete my subscribed content without giving me prior notification?  
How can you pick and choose which of my Vokis to delete without allowing me any input?  
As you may recall, I didn't use my account as much last year because your technicians took MONTHS to respond to my request for help with using Voki on iPad.  I signed up for a two-year membership, but couldn't use it because you wouldn't help us troubleshoot and you ultimately told me I just had to wait for you to develop the website.  Since I have been a loyal paid subscriber for years, I feel that I am at least entitled to prior notification.  I should have had the opportunity to decide which Vokis to delete, if necessary.  I have never exceeded my account limits.  I do not appreciate your lack of communication and disrespect for my students' work.
Susan,

You are absolutely right. Here's what happened - 

We have (for some time) had in place a policy that clears *Free* users' content if their account has been "abandoned". Abandoned was defined as no voki playback and no login for two years. 

This policy was never meant to affect Voki Classroom paying subscribers.
However - your students who create Vokis in your Voki classroom account are actually automatically assigned their own implicit account - (so that they interact only with their own content). This is a technical matter behind the Scenes and should normally not concern you. 

What happened is that the students, when logging into their own assignments under the teacher's Voki Classroom account, these students were implicitly provided with *Free* Voki accounts of their own. This was a technical judgement error. Consequently, these students' content became subject to normal Free Voki cleanup policy after two years of inactivity in *their* account.

Upon realizing what happened we have immediately discontinued all disused content cleanup until this process can be re-implemented correctly. Under no circumstances should a Voki Classroom teacher's students' content be deleted - certainly not while their account is active. That was not our intention.

Unfortunately the content which was removed cannot be restored.
I can offer you our sincere apologies - and a one year free subscription extension, which will be applied to your account.
I hope you can accept them both as a token of goodwill.

Sincerely,
Gil Sideman
The Voki Team

ps.
Any other teacher who experienced the same problem - please let us know and we will similarly issue a free account extension.  

If anyone else experienced this issue, please know that Voki did not contact me regarding Gil Sideman's "free" subscription extension. It appears they gave me one year from the date of my complaint rather than one year beyond the end of my plan. Even though I sent three emails about two weeks ago, a representative recently stated they haven't received any emails from me! I am very disappointed with the customer service at Voki.

Susan -

Looking into it.

Will advise.

Gil